Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Done chapter 8

Finished off receivables chapter with a bang. Admitted to my credit follies of the past but talked about how credit is a plague and should be avoided at all costs. One of my favorite quotes on debt is:

“Interest never sleeps nor sickens nor dies; it never goes to the hospital; it works on Sundays and holidays; it never takes a vacation; it never visits nor travels; it takes no pleasure; it is never laid off work nor discharged from employment; it never works on reduced hours. . . . Once in debt, interest is your companion every minute of the day and night; you cannot shun it or slip away from it; you cannot dismiss it; it yields neither to entreaties, demands, or orders; and whenever you get in its way or cross its course or fail to meet its demands, it crushes you.” — J. Reuben Clark, namesake of the Brigham Young University Law School

Offered a sort of extra make up quiz type thing. If you read the first couple chapters of "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey I will count it as a makeup/freebie quiz. Once you start reading you will not want to stop so I don't really think I'll have to have you read more that 2 chapters. Post your short summary of the book as a comment so we all can benefit. If you write too much I'll doc you points but simply tell me what you think about the book.

We will finish off a few questions for chapter 8 then go right onto chapter 9.

Homework:

Finish chapter 8 homework
Read Chapter 9

3 comments:

Josie said...

Just want everyone to know if you have not picked up Dave Ramsey the total money makeover yet it is worth reading. I checked the book out this morning and have read the introduction,and all that follows the intro. Chapters 1,2,& 3. Im going to buy the book so my husband can read it also.Chapter 1 Living the life of the Jones and keeping up with the Jones. How the challenge is the person in the mirror. Chapter 2 Dave talks about coming out of denial. I really like the way Dave words this (financially fat) if we look at our finances as health this will really make a person think about how their finances are. We may all need to address our financial eating and exercise habits. Chapter 3 the debit myths my family will more then likely stop the rent-to-own lie. Never thought that loaning money to friends or relatives could cost losing thoses people in your life like Dave said. So this book has been worth reading to this point. I will finish reading to the end.

Denise said...

True TAT - J. Rueben Clark! Sounds like a worthy read-- just need to find the time! Reading the current chapter, Homework, study for Test, Project--and 40 hours of work plus moving it just seems like there is not enough time in the week!!

Reyna Renee said...

Just read the introduction and first two chapters of "The Total Money Makeover." Dave Ramsey has some pretty good points and made me want to pay off my credit cards TODAY, but i don't think i'll want to finish the book. I found his writing to be repetitive and filled with cliches, all while marketing himself and his product. I commend Dave for doing those things, for it is making him not only financially free, but financially limitless as well - I just would rather not read about it. He attempts to convince his audience that financial freedom is the only way to happiness, and the only way to financial freedom is his "total money makeover." People shouldn't limit themselves from every pleasure just to be safe, it leads to a boring life. His plan obviously works for some people, but I don't think it is for me.....or maybe I'm just in denial about my financial fitness?